Background: On June 11, 2020, the Health Officer for the City & County of San Francisco issued Health Order C19-07e Appendix C-1 to the Stay-Safe-At-Home Order authorizing and providing guidance for Outdoor Fitness Groups. The San Francisco Park Code Section 3.08 provides that : No person shall use any of the facilities or areas of any park for the purpose of providing instruction for compensation without first having obtained a permit, concession, license or lease from the Recreation and Park Commission.
The San Francisco Park Recreation and Park Department wishes to offer fitness studios that are closed the opportunity to reserve our outdoor spaces to hold regular classes at the same location, on the same day and at the same time for 10 weeks at a significantly reduced cost. Please read below for details on our Large Group Training program. For info for Small Group Training (3 or less participants), please click here.
Large Group Training: For instructors interested in training more than 3 people at a time, you can use this form to register for the Spotery Draft lottery—an online system where you will be able to pick from available time slots.
Current Covid-Specific Requirements As Determined by Health Department:
- No more than 11 participants per class
- Social Distancing: Class participants must be 6 ft from each other and members of the public
- Must be 6 ft away from any public walkways
- No participants may be under the age of 18
- All participants must wear face coverings at all times
- All equipment must be cleaned and sanitized per health directives
- Contact sports are not allowed
General Rules and Requirements
- Impact on Other Park Users & Maintenance Staff
- Do not interfere with other park users or trigger complaints or permit will be suspended after one warning
- Must work around maintenance staff
- Equipment and Facility Use
- May not attach equipment to any SFRPD property (including trees)
- Overuse of Lawns: Move of activities to different areas to avoid too much wear in a particular area. Limit the use of a specific area of lawn no more than one day a week
- Nothing can be staked into grass or turf
- May not attach or erect signage
- Amplified Sound Prohibited
- No amplified sound/music or loud yelling
- Permittee must remove all trash completely off RPD property at the end of each session
- May Not Be Used to Provide Athletic Instruction
- No Assignment or Transferring of Reservation
- Must provide $1 million liability insurance listing the City as additionally insured on your policy
Time Slots and Fees
- Time Slots: Each slot will be for 2-hours and run for 10 weeks from the Week of Sept 14 thru the Week of Nov 15
- You will have the same location, on the same day at the same time for 10 weeks
- Fees: Each 10-week slot will be $25 total ($2.50 per class) for Studio Owners with Closed Studios
My Studio Has Space for More Than One Class at a Time
- If your studio could accommodate more than one class of 11 at a time, please fill out a 2nd form and indicate that it is a 2nd room. This will enable you to have two picks in the same round.
I Am Not An Owner of a Studio That is Closed by Covid 19
- Fitness providers who are not a studio owner closed by Covid 19 will be eligible to reserve space at the $15 per hour rate after this process is completed. Please fill out this form and we will notify you of availablity.