LANGLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL COMMUNITY STANDARDS POLICY
INTERNATIONAL REGISTRATION PACKAGE
LCS is a community which defines itself primarily as a group of believers in and followers of Jesus Christ who wish to provide their children with an education which honours their faith commitment. Members of this community acknowledge God as revealed in the Bible and in the person of Jesus Christ to be sovereign in all areas of life. All of life is worship. Christian life is not a part-time endeavor. It is this fundamental understanding which provides the foundation for and informs the Christian education provided by LCS.
A significant emphasis for a community which claims God as the Lord of all of life is the unity of home, church and school. The expectation of the LCS community is that each of these important elements in a student’s life will complement and build up the others, since all endeavours in life are subject to the same faith commitment.
We also acknowledge as a community that our world is tainted and marred by the effects of sin. Failure to consistently remain true to God’s teachings and the need for forgiveness is a fact of life.
Accordingly, LCS expects all persons with influence over our students to model behavior and lifestyle choices consistent with the Christian walk of faith in all areas of their lives, both school related and non- school related. Teachers, administrators and employees are required to sign a CSP document as part of their employment contract; Board and Committee members also sign a CSP prior to commencing their volunteer service. Parents, as an integral and essential part of the LCS community, are also required to
acknowledge their acceptance of, understanding and support for LCS’s vision and its community standards by signing this document.
The following general community standards reflect our Society’s core values. They include:
- Belief in the inspiration and authority of the Bible, as is further expounded on in the Basis of the
LCS Society Constitution
- Voluntary submission to the Bible’s teaching
- The pursuit of personal holiness
- Striving to live distinctly Christian lives
All members of the community are responsible to:
- Conduct themselves as responsible citizens.
- Engage in an honest pursuit of biblical holiness.
- Uphold the Langley Christian School’s mission.
- Limit the exercise of their Christian liberty in accordance with the School’s mission and the best interest of other members of the community.
The following particular standards of conduct of LCS are important non-exhaustive examples of how members, students, board, committee members, administrators, teachers and support staff are to live out their lives in the school community:
- Active involvement in a Christian church.
- Demonstrates clear and active support for Christian education.
- Understands marriage to be a covenant between a man and a woman.
- Respects the sanctity of life from the moment of conception.
- Refrains from sexual misconduct such as adultery, sexual relationships outside of marriage, the use of pornography or other sexually explicit material.
- Refrains from the use, possession or distribution of illegal drugs and the abuse of alcohol
- Refrains from criminal activity or serious civil wrongdoing.
- Respect for persons in authority
This exposition and application of the LCS Community Standards is not offered as a legalistic definition of right and wrong. Rather, it provides concrete examples of a covenantal commitment to the mission of LCS and a commitment to fellow members of this school community. Certain expectations may not be commanded by Scripture, but nonetheless, they are desirable and essential if all members of the
community are to achieve their personal goals. Parental and student submission to the society’s constitution and its policies including the Code of Conduct as it relates to parents is a matter of both personal faith and integrity and communal standards and accountability. The emphasis in the LCS community is on covenant, shalom, mutual correction, sincere repentance and forgiveness. In instances of serious breach and/or a flagrantly disobedient lifestyle, the LCS community may, through the Board, revoke the membership and voting privileges of a parent.