RFP for Forest Programs

This is a Request for Proposals (RFP) for Schools or Childcare Programs That Operate Their Programs in Parks (commonly known as Forest Schools). These programs:

  • Operate outdoors in a nature-based setting.
  • Provide a nature-based curriculum.
  • May be a roaming program, where students are brought to a location each day. 

You need to obtain a license in order to utilize a park to operate your program. In order to obtain a license, you must submit a Request for Proposal as described below.

  • Areas You Can Apply to Use
    • First-come, first-served after other permitted users including picnics, events, and kids’ camps. You must relocate if others are using the space.
    • Use of the following areas is not allowed:
      • Athletic Fields
      • Performance spaces
      • Wedding locations
      • Specialty gardens
      • Any areas where maintenance staff is working
    • Cannot require public to move.
    • Activities need to be moved to different areas in order to avoid too much wear in a particular area, particularly lawns.
    • Hiking activities must stay on trails.
  • Focus should be on environmental stewardship including Leave-No-Trace guidelines and principles:
    • These are outdoor park areas to be enjoyed for their natural beauty and nothing should be assembled or constructed in this site (no fairy houses, mud pies, etc.).
    • No collection, climbing or damage of trees, shrubs, other plants, animals or other natural resources. No digging is permitted.
    • Nothing may be attached to or hung from trees or plants. Any equipment must be free standing.
    • Please bag and remove all trash completely out of the park and dispose of it off site. Please bring your own supplies, as they are not provided.
    • Any backcountry toileting must be done according to Leave-No-Trace guidelines and principles.

The license is provisional and subject to revocation should these terms be violated or if there are complaints. The license is for utillizing park space only. The license holder is responsible for meeting any local, state, and federal programming requirements.

Program Description

Type of Program *
Primary Contact Information *
Photo ID: Photo ID will be necessary for all instructors so they can be identified. *

Program Details

Months of Operation (check all that apply) *
Days of Operation (check all that apply) *
Hours of Operation (daily drop off and pick up times):

Program Location

I am interested in: *
I understand the use of Specialty Gardens is not allowed. This includes but is not limited to the National AIDS Memorial Grove, Shakespeare Garden, Queen Wilhelmina Garden, Rose Garden, Botanical Garden, and Japanese Tea Garden. *

Administrative Details

COST: Your RFP must include the proposed rent for use of the space.

  • Our minimum fee is $300/month for half day programs and $600/month for full day programs.
    • If less than 6 kids are enrolled, then discounts are possible.
    • If there are less than 4 days of operation each week, then discounts are possible.
    • Additional percentage rent will apply if your rent is less than 5% of tuition revenue.
Please indicate what you're proposing to pay for your program. *

INSURANCE: Please be ready to share your Certificate of Insurance that includes the City and County of San Francisco and the San Francisco Recreation & Park Department as an additional insured with $1M per occurrence / $2M aggregate coverage.

Also required is Sexual Molestation and Abuse Coverage with minimum limits of $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 in the aggregate. Coverage may be held as a separate policy or included by endorsement in the Commercial General Liability or Errors and Omissions policy.

Please state the following exactly under the "Certificate Holder" section:

San Francisco Recreation & Park Department
City & County of San Francisco
McLaren Lodge in Golden Gate Park
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA, 94117

Please state the following exactly under the "Description of Operations/Locations/Vehicles" section:

City and County of San Francisco and the Recreation & Park Department and its agents, employees and commissioners, are additionally insured in single limits applying to physical injury, property damage, and personal injury.

I understand that my Certificate of Insurance will need to be submitted and approved before I can receive my license. *
I certify that the above information is correct and that failure to follow the rules here and in my license can result in forfeiture of the license: *
Powered byFormsite