The Resident Artist program of Pittsburgh Opera is meant for emerging artists beginning a professional career in opera and requires that singers demonstrate exceptional operatic skills and professional training potential through musical and theatrical experience. Pittsburgh Opera does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.
1. Include these items in your completed application:
- Two recent letters of recommendation from recognized authorities in the opera field (voice teacher, coach, conductor, director, etc).
- Non-refundable application fee of $40.00 made payable to: Pittsburgh Opera. The application fee will not be refunded if an audition is not granted.
- One headsot (black and white or color photograph is acceptable)
- Application deadline is October 17, 2014.
- An incomplete application package will not be considered.
2. Pittsburgh Opera staff will screen all applications.
Applicants chosen to audition will be notified by e-mail approximately two-three weeks before the requested audition date. Pittsburgh Opera will make every effort to accommodate audition date requests. New York applicants should select multiple dates ONLY if planning to be in New York City for the entire audition period. Applicants unable to appear for a scheduled audition will be eliminated from consideration. Applicants who cancel an audition because of illness cannot be granted an audition after the last posted audition date.
* The applicant should be prepared to sing, from memory, five contrasting arias demonstrating French, German, English and Italian language aptitude. One aria must be sung in Italian. The audition panel reserves the right to select the aria(s) to be performed from the list provided by the singer.
3. Pittsburgh Opera will provide an accompanist for the auditions; however, the applicant is permitted to bring an accompanist of choice.
4. Please DO NOT send videotapes, CDs, CD-ROMs, press packets or any additional information other than what is requested.
5. Transportation and housing are not provided at audition sites. New York applicants who perform successfully must be available for a callback audition on the final day of the auditions in order to be considered for acceptance into the program. Callbacks will be posted online, so it is not necessary to wait at the audition facility for a callback list.
6. Singers who perform successfully at the audition in Pittsburgh must be available for the callback audition on the same day. Please keep schedules free for the entire day. Callbacks will be posted online and at the site. Singers chosen for a callback audition from the Cincinnati audition will perform the callback the following day, December 3, 2014. Singers chosen for a callback audition from the preliminary rounds in New York City will perform the callbacks on Friday, December 12, 2014. Please select your New York audition dates carefully so that you will be available to attend the callback audition if required.
7. If accepted as a Resident Artist with Pittsburgh Opera, the artist will be under exclusive contract from September 2015 through May 2016 and September 2016 through May 2017. If applicant is not prepared to accept the Resident Artist contract for its entire period, then the applicant should not participate in the audition.
8. Artists who do not currently live in the Pittsburgh area are expected to move to Pittsburgh or one of its immediate suburbs at his/her own expense.
9. International artists are welcome to audition providing you are able to work in the United States for the length of the program. Each singer is responsible for thier own work papers.
10. If accepted as a Resident Artist with Pittsburgh Opera, no other engagements may be accepted nor competitions entered without prior written permission from Pittsburgh Opera administration.